THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES

Monday, May 4, 2009


Welcome to my world with Gavin having what I call “Autism Bad Day”.

Right from the very moment he wakes, I can tell if it will be one of those days.

He will either be really whinnying over nothing and I mean that I will have no idea why he is whinny. Or he will go to do something in the morning and its instant meltdown.

So I prepare myself for what I call “A Bad Day”.  I have yet to find a reason why he has them they don’t seem to be related to sleep wither it be to much or not enough. Bad dream maybe? Who knows?

 

This morning Gavin got up and was whinny really whinny and he got what I thought was good sleep.  He then started playing legos and I played with him.  I was building him a house and playing at the same time.  He then went to play with his lego train and something was wrong with the wheels and he was getting upset trying to fix it.  I asked him to let me help him and when I started to he got even more upset and said I was doing it wrong but wouldn’t tell me how. I still tried and yet it just did work with him screamed and cried at me that I was not doing it the right way. So I gave it back to him and he took it over to the track he built (witch is missing a piece….also setting him off) he tried playing with it and something went wrong with the wheels I am still not sure what but he wasn’t happy.  It was a major meltdown. I removed him from the living room to a spot where I told him to calm himself down.  I got a box and put his lego train up until I get the instruction booklet to rebuild it properly from where his younger cousin broke it.  He then seemed to top his previous meltdown with a much bigger one.  I had to put him in the bathroom and shut the door to make it a little bit quieter till he calmed down.  It lasted about 10mins but felt like forever.  He then came back and told everyone he was sorry for screaming.  The though out the day it’s just constant. You can’t do one thing for him with out him asking another and another, you can’t even finish the first demand before he has moved on and wants something else.  He and I went to town to run errands and that was not too bad he listened to his music for awhile.  Then when we got into town and he saw the trains he got all excited and told me to look, look, look, look. Even if I am looking he still says it.  Then he just kept asking questions like where are we going, and then I can’t even tell the others b/c they are worded so differently that most of the time I don’t know how to answer.  So that can get a little annoying.  He whined when I told him that we are going to the grocery store he got all upset and started begging to go to a store with toys to look at. 

We go to the store and he actually did quiet well.  About ten minutes before we were done he did get a little antsy.  He was walking around me kind of spinning or rolling his head saying loudly there so much food in here, looks at all this food. 

When we got home he got on the computer for a lil bit and then started aggravating his little sister getting in her personal space.  Dinner was a nightmare he kept playing with his fork so had to take that away.  He took one maybe to bites of food and was just babbling random things that you can’t make out and rubbing his head and eyes.  He said he had to pee so I let him get up and then had to go get him out of the bathroom he was standing on the side of the tub with the blind’s cords in his mouth.  I got him back at the table and he still didn’t eat and so I let him up told him nothing else to eat.

Bedtime not as bad as it could have been whined and went and spun himself in my mom’s chair.  I got him to let me brush his teeth.  Put him in the bed and whined about his tummy hurting b/c he was hungry, he called me in there for that about 4 times, then he wet himself so that had to be changed, and then when that movie was over I did let him watch another and omg if he didn’t pick the one movie I couldn’t find.  So meltdown meets whining loudly. He saw me looking for it I told him I was looking yet he still cried loudly why it is taking so long.  Then the DVD didn’t start fast enough, then the menu didn’t start fast enough and all this was such a big deal to him. He made it seem like it really did take forever.  Then when I got to the part he likes he was fine. 

So that is what happens on “A Bad Day” with Gavin and autism.

 

Much patience,  B

3 comments:

Dawn said...

I know it's frustrating for you but you do so well. Just imagine how much worse it would be if you weren't consistent.

You are an amazing mom and you will learn the best ways to deal with the "bad days". It's a trial and error thing...believe me, I know.

Keep up the good work.

Love,
Mom

Anonymous said...

I tell your mom every time you have to go take care of him, how awesome you handle him, and how you take care of him and how hard it has to be to deal with over and over.

I see it in your face, it is very hard at times, and no one can tell you any different, it is HARD.

You are doing very well with him, and your consistency blows me away. Even when you look like you are about to loose it, you stay calm, and continue to work the problem.

I wished you would lighten up on yourself, because from one who sees it on the outside, you do a very good job. You can't be perfect, and as you said, there is no manual.

If you did not handle things the way you do, Gavin would not be such a good boy most of the time. Your dedication and consistency and love have made him such a good little boy (most of the time :)

Keep up the good work, and don't get discouraged.

We are here for your support, and I know how much you love those kids.

Paul

Anonymous said...

I left a long comment to you, and this damn thing ate it.

I wanted you to know that every time he has a meltdown you have to deal with, I tell your mom how proud I am of you and how well you handle things.

I know it is never easy for you, but you are consistent, and your work, love and dedication have made Gavin a really good little kid.

You do a good job, and no one can tell you otherwise. Dealing with meltdowns is not something very many people could handle the way you do. You do it right.

We are here for your support, and will do whatever we can to help.

Paul