THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES

Wednesday, May 20, 2009

When you have a child with Aspergers and also symptoms of ADHD how do you know where to fix the problem and where it came form?  Is this particular behavior from the ASD or the ADHD, or just a normal boy or maybe if this is the result to bad parenting on my part?  How am I supposed to know?  So many questions and so few answers.  As a mom with a 5 year old boy with ASD and ADHD my patience was tried today.  He is potty trained but he has periods were he won’t us the toilet for poopy he holds it and get some in his underwear.  I always catch him and clean him and make him us the toilet to finish.  Well today he did that a total of 5 times I think.  So you can see the problem having to clean that over and over again is exhausting.  The last time I he asked me if I was mad and I told him no then he asked if I was disappointed in him and I said yes very.  Then he goes “ I am sorry mommy I just can’t control myself and don’t know what to do it my brain is says nothing” that is what he said to me word for word.  Sad right?  So I ran out and started to cry and asked my mom if she could finish for me and of course she did gave him a bath and everything did great with no sign of exhaustion and I know she is she herself isn’t healthy but still came though for me I love her.  Support is the key let me tell you.  So anyway I gathered myself in the mean time and read Ally a story and Gavin came over to listen too and then my mom put Ally to bed and we all sat in here and played play doh while watching MythBusters. 

I know this is all over the place but sometimes is hard to get your head straight after a day like this. Gavin had also been really whiny over everything. Food mostly he just wants snacks and I tell him no he needs to eat lunch or dinner and he acts like you told him he is never going to eat its meltdown central and he tore thing up and cried today.  He manages to calm himself but still it is so overwhelming and today didn’t even start off bad this one struck at lunch time.  I think he had 3 tantrums.  I also let him and his sister play in the sprinkler they seemed to love it.  Before that my mom and I sat out there with them and played you think that would be enough.  I also hate how Gavin can be so sweet but then yet not seem to give a damn if he hurts your feelings or if he does he doesn’t know why or how that whole knowing that you cause an event to occur yeah he doesn’t know.  What am I supposed to say when he tells me he can’t control himself and that his brain is driving him crazy (he also told me that today too) and is that really true or am I being played?  Is that part of who he is b/c of ASD and ADHD or am I the cause of this?  I’m I doing everything I should be doing?  And the number one question how am I supposed to know?  

1 comments:

Dawn said...

If you can ever answer these questions, you would become the "Special Needs Mom of the Century".

Hell, I can't even answer these questions and I've been dealing with special needs for almost 20 years.

All you can do is the best you can and hope for the best. It's what I'm doing and so far I'm still semi-sane. Well, at least I think I am.

We have had the day from hell, but we just need to plan on tomorrow being a better one.

I love you!