THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES

Monday, August 31, 2009

A Letter to my sister.

This is the letter I wrote to my sis after the CDRC appointments I had with Gavin and this is what they said:


Hey sis,

I am sorry that I didn’t email you the info on Gavin I totally forgot. It has been crazy around here and when I got the diagnosis on Gavin that also came with a lot more work for me. So I have been working with mom and Paul about some of the ideas to help Gavin at home and school. So here it is……
Gavin has been diagnosed with PDD-NOS, in English that stands for Pervasive Developmental Delay-None Otherwise Specified. He is at the bottom of the Autism Spectrum Disorder, witch is good. They said that they don’t really diagnose Aspergers Syndrome till ages 7-11, when they do not mature with there peers and other symptoms too. So pretty much he has many symptoms of Autism but has many normal to above normal intelligence. They also diagnosed him with Pragmatic Language Disorder and that means: Pragmatics is the area of language function that embraces the use of language in social contexts (knowing what to say, how to say it, and when to say it - and how to "be" with other people).
Children with pragmatic difficulties have great trouble using language socially in ways that are appropriate or typical of children of their age. They often do not understand that we take turns to talk, and they will "talk over the top of you" at times, or, at other times respond to what you say with inappropriate silences, or in a voice that is too quiet. They may interrupt excessively and talk irrelevantly or about things the listener shows no interest in. Their communicative behavior often appears rude and inconsiderate.
They often do not assume prior knowledge. So for example, one boy explained to me in minute detail how to wash a car, wrongly assuming that I needed (and wanted) the information and that I had never washed a car.
On the other hand, they may assume prior knowledge that the listener could not possibly have, and launch into a long disquisition without describing in sufficient detail the participants, location and general background of their story. They can go on far too long telling stories, and include so much detail that the listener becomes disinterested.
Hope that helps you understand. He was also diagnosed with poor perspective-taking, here is what that means: the ability to understand a persons view point, individual and situational awareness, recognizing when things go wrong, empathy involving feelings of concern for another person or group.
I know this is a lot but figure you want to know it all and be able to understand. The one that causes most concern is his sensory. He has very high sensory needs. Children with Sensory Processing Disorder (also known as Sensory Integration Dysfunction) often have difficulties regulating their energy levels. Many times they can appear "silly" or "hyper", you know the hand flapping, and the jumping up and down, and spinning, and there are times when he just gets up out of the chair from the computer and talks funny to himself goes in the kitchen and gallops around and flapping. The reason that is the biggest concern is b/c I can’t help him so much with that, its above me, and that is really going to affect his ability to learn and focus. You know how Gavin is, he hears, sees, and smells everything. I did get some helpful tips from the CDRC that I can do for him at home to help, but I have only gotten summery reports I won’t get the full reports for another week or so. I hope that I was able to cover it all for you, I know that you and Brian have always been concerned for Gavin and me when it came to understanding him, and I will always appreciate that. Thanks for being you love you and if you have any questions let me know.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, august is a long time to not write about your son, I guess he has not been doing anything?